Stay ahead of the curve as a political insider with deep policy analysis, daily briefings and policy-shaping tools.Request a Demo
Manager Internal Communications
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas
- Topeka (Full-Time)
Posted: Nov 17, 2023Closed
As a manager on the ever-growing Corporate Communications team, this position works cross-functionally to improve communication across the company; devises specific communications materials; engages in face-to-face meetings with division leaders and other opinion formers; and develops print and web-based materials. The Internal Communications Manager is a great communicator, understanding complex issues and providing explanation through well written Blue Connect (intranet) articles, video scripts for training and promoting internal projects, etc.
The Internal Communications Manager has a proven record of developing and publicizing compelling stories and a proven record of building relationships. The position finds and publicizes great cross-company campaigns, and profiles of interesting work and employees.
The position promotes a positive corporate image by delivering consistent, quality communications while enhancing the Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas brand. Provides leadership in message development and delivery, and consistent use of corporate style to extend the professional image of the company to internal audiences. Manages overall editorial authority and policy for corporate communications and handles and releases confidential information in a timely, professional manner. The position disseminates information and creates an increasingly positive image and understanding of the company and its operations, goals and activities, and corporate positions to employees.
- Oversees the operations, budget, and employees in the internal corporate communications department.
- Responsible for selection, placement, training, performance evaluations for department staff.
- Manages team of communication professionals focused on external communications and public relations.
- Develops and manages staff goals with progress check-ins during one-on-one meetings.
- Provides training opportunities on corporate style for employees.
- Creates and participates in cross-training activities within the corporate communications area.
- Ensures all messaging aligns with key business strategies.
- Manages corporate communication specialists in message development and delivery through appropriate communication tools, including editing, proof-reading, and meeting deadlines.
- Works with content marketing to conceptualize, creates and leverages corporate content to include reports, referrals, videos, and other premium assets.
- Champions and enforces BCBSKS corporate style guidelines and Blue Cross Blue Shield Association (BCBSA) graphic style guidelines.
- Creates and disseminates talking points, positions papers and FAQs on the company’s operations, goals, and activities.
- Supervises the creation, production and distribution of employee communications and educational campaigns including intranet and printed publications.
- Supports advocacy efforts through fact sheets, messaging, and other communication needs.
- Leads communication efforts on new government programs and mandates, including educating members and groups through emails, social media or press releases.
- Edits written materials submitted by other employees.
- Assists in the preparation and editing of speeches, reports, and letters as assigned.
- Maintains an awareness and understanding of the business unit recovery plan for the department and the corporation’s business continuity program in general.
Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, English, or related field, required. Five years’ experience in corporate communications, public affairs or media relations in lieu of Bachelor’s degree.
Experience and Skills:
- Five to seven years’ experience in writing and designing publications.
- Organizational, project planning and management skills, including ability to lead communications needs of the organization.
- Business writing skills and an understanding of human relations techniques.
- Experience with editing and proofing written materials.
- Knowledge of incorporating intranet site into overall employee communications plan.