Stay ahead of the curve as a political insider with deep policy analysis, daily briefings and policy-shaping tools.Request a Demo
Professional Environmental Geologist Supervisor (Unit Manager) (210923)
- Kansas Department of Health and Environment
- Topeka (Full-Time)
Posted: Nov 16, 2023Closed
The Kansas Department of Health and Environment has a Professional Environmental Geologist Supervisor (Unit Manager) opening in Topeka. This position supervises the work of staff in the State Cooperative Program – Site Remediation Unit. This includes making work assignments, setting performance standards, conducting performance evaluations, setting staff priorities, providing performance feedback to staff, rewarding staff performance appropriately, supporting career development, communicating effectively, stimulating productivity, and providing a creative working environment. Follows all appropriate federal, state and agency guidelines, policies, regulations, and statutes to accomplish the goals and objectives. Must possess Professional Geology license recognized by the Kansas Board of Technical Professions.
Job Responsibilities may include but are not limited to the following:
Performs as a unit manager and supervisor to plan, coordinate, and oversee the execution of the State Cooperative Program – Site Remediation Unit in the Remedial Section. Oversees the preparation of geologic and technical projects, designs, plans, estimates, calculations, inspections, testing, and collection of data for environmentally contaminated projects. This includes but is not limited to, program development guidance, public relations, policy development, technical oversight, geologic oversight, tracking of various program elements, dissemination of public information to the public, ranking of priorities, program updates, project tracking, staff assignments, contractor oversight, contractor tracking, procurement of contractors and budgeting. Assist the Section Chief in administration of the program. Responsible for assuring consistency, QA/QC, fairness, and follows all agency/bureau/section guidelines and policies. Responsible for setting and tracking deadlines for document review or technical oversight of sites to staff as defined by the Section Chief.
Supervises the work of staff in the State Cooperative Program – Site Remediation Unit as assigned by the Section Chief. This includes making work assignments, setting performance standards, conducting performance evaluations, setting staff priorities, providing performance feedback to staff, rewarding staff performance appropriately, supporting career development, communicating effectively, stimulating productivity, and providing a creative working environment. Follows all appropriate federal, state and agency guidelines, policies, regulations, and statutes to accomplish the goals and objectives of the Section.
Professional Geology license recognized by the Kansas Board of Technical Professions.
- Bachelor’s degree in geology/hydrogeology/earth science/geoscience or other related geology field.
Licensing & Certification:
- Valid Driver’s License – Incumbent is required to have and maintain a valid driver’s license when operating a state vehicle, a private vehicle, or a rental vehicle for the benefit of the State.
Any additional skills, experiences, or qualifications that would be beneficial, but aren’t strictly necessary.
- Master’s degree in geology/hydrogeology/earth science/geoscience or other related geology field.
- Environmental geology experience.
- Two years of supervisory experience.
- Data evaluation.
- Sampling and logging experience.
- ArcGIS Mapping.
- Ability to use personal protective equipment.
- Proofreading, editing, attention to detail.
- Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access.
Post-Offer, Pre-employment Requirements:
- Employee must annually pass a physical which certifies the individual can work in the necessary personal protective equipment. Job does require physical activities involved with the essential functions of the job.
About the Position:
- Who can apply: Anyone (External)
- Classified/Unclassified Service: Unclassified
- Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time
- Regular/Temporary: Regular
- Work Schedule: Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm (Flexible schedules available)
- Eligible to Receive Benefits: Yes
- Veterans’ Preference Eligible: Yes
- Comprehensive medical, mental, dental, vision, and additional coverage
- Sick & Vacation leave
- Work-Life Balance programs: parental leave, military leave, jury leave, funeral leave
- Paid State Holidays (designated by the Governor annually)
- Fitness Centers in select locations
- Employee discounts with the STAR Program
- Retirement and deferred compensation programs
How to Apply:
Specific instructions for applying, which might include submitting a resume, cover letter, list of references, or completing an online application.
- Please include the Job ID number when emailing.
Job Application Process: Only applications submitted within our State of Kansas Careers Portal will be considered.
- First Sign in or register as a New User at https://admin.ks.gov/offices/personnel-services/jobs
- Complete or update your contact information on the State of Kansas Careers Portal > My Contact Information page. *This information is included on all your job applications.
- Upload required documents listed for each specific job posting.
- Start your draft job application, upload other required documents, and Submit when it is complete.
- Manage your draft and submitted applications on the Careers> My Job Applications page.
- Check your email and My Job Notifications for written communications from the Recruiter.
- Email – sent to the Preferred email on the My Contact Information page
- Notifications – view the Careers> My Job Notifications page
Helpful Resources at jobs.ks.gov: “How to Apply for a Job – Instructions” and “How to Search for a Job – Instructions”