Stay ahead of the curve as a political insider with deep policy analysis, daily briefings and policy-shaping tools.Request a Demo
Benefits Administrator (210881)
- Kansas Department of Administration
- Topeka (Full-Time)
Posted: Nov 01, 2023Closed
The position (K0230011) Assist with management and implementation of the FMLA and ADA programs for the agency. For FMLA this includes receiving requests from employees and medical certification information from physicians, reviewing criteria and information gathered to make determinations on eligibility, notifying employees of determination, reviewing leave balances, and tracking FMLA usage for each approved employee. Tracking includes maintaining Excel spreadsheets for employees who are utilizing FMLA for their own or a family members serious health condition and tracking the hours used for this purpose. Maintains the medical file with FMLA paperwork. Monitors duration of leave and notifies employee when leave has been exhausted. Send out ADA Request Forms. Once an ADA request is returned review the medical certification information from physicians, reviewing criteria and information gathered to make determinations on eligibility, notifying employees of next steps in the interactive process and track ADA accommodations for each approved employee. Serve as backup for Assistant HR Director on American with Disabilities Act interactive conversations for ADA Approval to Offer Letter meetings. Serve as back up to Assistant HR Director for development and finalization of ADA Approval to Offer Letters for employees. Maintain medical files of employees with a current ADA approved medical event in the incumbent’s office and safeguard for confidentiality.
Job Responsibilities may include but are not limited to the following:
Serve as an agency Kansas Public Employee Retirement System (KPERS) Designated Agent. Consult with and provide technical assistance to employees regarding retirement related issues, problems, or concerns, and responds to general inquiries. Conduct general retirement consultations for eligible employees, including referring them to KPERs if they would like to calculate their retirement benefit estimates, discussing available options, explaining procedures for retirement application, and submitting required information to KPERS. Serve as backup for Payroll Administrator regarding the following items:
- Submit to KPERS, through SHARP, the “Working After Retirement” report for all retirees who have been hired back by the agency
- Enter retirement certifications on KPERS employer portal.
- Ensure KPERS Optional Group Life Insurance Confirmation Letters are entered in SHARP by KPERS; scan and send via email to employee; file in personnel file.• Experience with FMLA and Shared Leave programs
- Previous Benefits Experience working in private, non-profit, State Entities and/or other Benefit Related Fields.
- Two years of experience in planning, directing, organizing, managing or administering personnel or human resources functions.
- High School, GED
Licensing & Certification:
- Valid Driver’s License – Incumbent is required to have and maintain a valid driver’s license when operating a state vehicle, a private vehicle, or a rental vehicle for the benefit of the State.
Any additional skills, experiences, or qualifications that would be beneficial, but aren’t strictly necessary.
- Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access
- Proofreading, editing, attention to detail
- Ability to interpret/apply state regulations and statutes
- Knowledge of the Kansas Civil Service Act
- Thorough knowledge of state benefit options
- Knowledge and experience with KPERS
- Experience entering transactions in SHARP
How to Apply:
Specific instructions for applying, which might include submitting a resume, cover letter, list of references, or completing an online application.
Please include the Job ID number when emailing.
Job Application Process: Only applications submitted within our State of Kansas Careers Portal will be considered.
- First Sign in or register as a New User at https://admin.ks.gov/offices/personnel-services/jobs
- Complete or update your contact information on the State of Kansas Careers Portal > My Contact Information page. *This information is included on all your job applications.
- Upload required documents listed for each specific job posting.
- Start your draft job application, upload other required documents, and Submit when it is complete.
- Manage your draft and submitted applications on the Careers> My Job Applications page.
- Check your email and My Job Notifications for written communications from the Recruiter.
- Email – sent to the Preferred email on the My Contact Information page
- Notifications – view the Careers> My Job Notifications page
- Helpful Resources at jobs.ks.gov: “How to Apply for a Job – Instructions” and “How to Search for a Job – Instructions”
$ $20.13 to $23.31