Stay ahead of the curve as a political insider with deep policy analysis, daily briefings and policy-shaping tools.Request a Demo
Bureau of Environmental Field Services Intern (210433)
- Kansas Department of Health and Environment
- Lawrence (Full-Time)
Posted: Sep 22, 2023Open
The Kansas Department of Health and Environment is seeking an Intern to join our Internship Program in the Bureau of Environmental Field Services located in our Lawrence office for the summer. Interns will have an excellent opportunity to gain hands-on experience by inspecting a wide variety of minor municipal, commercial, and industrial wastewater treatment facilities to determine compliance with state and federal regulations and statutes, to protect public health and the environment. Students will also be required to collect water samples for the Harmful Algal Bloom (HAB) program to ensure that the public is aware of algal blooms on public lakes that could cause illnesses and even death in animals and humans. This position involves daytime travel throughout the Northeast District of KDHE and the anticipated work schedule is flexible from Monday to Friday.
Job Responsibilities may include but are not limited to the following:
Sampling – field screening and water sampling to meet program needs. Complete photo and written documentation for the investigations.
Wastewater inspections- will complete file reviews and an onsite inspection of minor wastewater systems. This will include documentation of the field observations and information collected for the inspection including paperwork reviews. Inspection protocols will be followed. Reports will be completed for the inspection including a photo log. Correspondence will be drafted conveying the inspection results.
- Prepares inspection report and correspondence to the facility which explains inspection findings including violations or deficiencies which require corrective action.
- Establishes compliance deadlines for corrective actions.
- Submits inspection reports and correspondence to the facility and BOW within 20 working days of the inspection.
- Conducts timely follow-up on compliance deadlines to ensure corrective actions have been implemented.
- All other duties as assigned which may include
– Restocking field sampling supplies
– Filing correspondence for facilities in the Northeast district
- Due to the nature of the business, the incumbent must be a minimum of 18 years old at the time of employment.
- As a condition of employment, will be subject to a criminal background check.
The minimum level of education and experience required to perform the job.
- Currently enrolled in a college program
Licensing & Certification:
- Valid Driver’s License – Incumbent is required to have and maintain a valid driver’s license when operating a state vehicle, a private vehicle, or a rental vehicle for the benefit of the State
Any additional skills, experiences, or qualifications that would be beneficial, but aren’t strictly necessary.
About the Position:
- Who can apply: Anyone (External) who meets minimum qualifications
- Classified/Unclassified Service: Unclassified
- Full/Part-time: Part-time. The position is allowed up to 999 hours per year max.
- Work Schedule: Flexible Monday – Friday
- Eligible to Receive Benefits: No
- Office Location: Lawrence
- Application Deadline: April 5, 2024
- Semester: Summer
How to Apply:
Specific instructions for applying, which might include submitting a resume, cover letter, list of references, or completing an online application.
- Please include the Job ID number (210433) when emailing.
Job Application Process: Only applications submitted within our State of Kansas Careers Portal will be considered.
- First Sign in or register as a New User at https://admin.ks.gov/offices/personnel-services/jobs
- Complete or update your contact information on the State of Kansas Careers Portal > My Contact Information page. *This information is included on all your job applications.
- Upload required documents listed for each specific job posting.
- Start your draft job application, upload other required documents, and Submit when it is complete.
- Manage your draft and submitted applications on the Careers> My Job Applications page.
- Check your email and My Job Notifications for written communications from the Recruiter.
- Email – sent to the Preferred email on the My Contact Information page
- Notifications – view the Careers> My Job Notifications page
$ $14.66 to $18.26