Stay ahead of the curve as a political insider with deep policy analysis, daily briefings and policy-shaping tools.Request a Demo
Chemist III (210833)
- Kansas Department of Health and Environment
- Topeka (Full-Time)
Posted: Nov 01, 2023Closed
The Kansas Department of Health and Environment has a Chemist III opening in Topeka. KDHE is seeking a talented chemist to join the Environmental Section. The position will work with other chemists to complete testing of several matrices for PFAS and other emerging contaminants. Experience in LCMS and GCMS is preferred.
Job Responsibilities may include but are not limited to the following:
Performs extractions and analysis of drinking water, surface water and other matrices for PFAS compounds using LCMS technology.
Develop methodology for analysis of PFAS and other target analytes based on EPA methods. The development of methodology places a large demand on the skill, knowledge, and judgment to analyze samples accurately and efficiently.
- Bachelor’s degree in a Natural Science field with a minimum of 25 hours chemistry and two years of experience in chemistry. Experience in the natural science field may be substituted for the required education as determined relevant by the agency.
Licensing & Certification:
- Valid Driver’s License – Incumbent is required to have and maintain a valid driver’s license when operating a state vehicle, a private vehicle, or a rental vehicle for the benefit of the State.
Any additional skills, experiences, or qualifications that would be beneficial, but aren’t strictly necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree in chemistry.
- Master’s degree in chemistry.
- PhD in chemistry.
- Experience with extractions and analytical instrumentation.
- Inductively Coupled Plasma Mass Spectrometry.
- Gas Chromatography Mass Spectrometry.
- Liquid Chromatography Mass Spectrometry.
- Proofreading, editing, attention to detail.
- Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access.
About the Position:
- Who can apply: Anyone (External)
- Classified/Unclassified Service: Unclassified
- Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time
- Regular/Temporary: Regular
- Work Schedule: Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm (Flexible schedules available)
- Eligible to Receive Benefits: Yes
- Veterans’ Preference Eligible: Yes
- Comprehensive medical, mental, dental, vision, and additional coverage
- Sick & Vacation leave
- Work-Life Balance programs: parental leave, military leave, jury leave, funeral leave
- Paid State Holidays (designated by the Governor annually)
- Fitness Centers in select locations
- Employee discounts with the STAR Program
- Retirement and deferred compensation programs
How to Apply:
Specific instructions for applying, which might include submitting a resume, cover letter, list of references, or completing an online application.
Please include the Job ID number (210833) when emailing.
Job Application Process: Only applications submitted within our State of Kansas Careers Portal will be considered.
- First Sign in or register as a New User at https://admin.ks.gov/offices/personnel-services/jobs
- Complete or update your contact information on the State of Kansas Careers Portal > My Contact Information page. *This information is included on all your job applications.
- Upload required documents listed for each specific job posting.
- Start your draft job application, upload other required documents, and Submit when it is complete.
- Manage your draft and submitted applications on the Careers> My Job Applications page.
- Check your email and My Job Notifications for written communications from the Recruiter.
- Email – sent to the Preferred email on the My Contact Information page
- Notifications – view the Careers> My Job Notifications page
- Helpful Resources at jobs.ks.gov: “How to Apply for a Job – Instructions” and “How to Search for a Job – Instructions”
$ $23.26 to $25.70