Stay ahead of the curve as a political insider with deep policy analysis, daily briefings and policy-shaping tools.Request a Demo
Deputy Chief Engineer
- Kansas Corporation Commission
- Topeka (Full-Time)
Posted: Jul 05, 2023Open
This is a leadership position that assists the Chief Engineer in directing activities of the engineering operations section and directing activities of the Natural Gas Pipeline Safety Inspectors and technical staff. This position has future promotional opportunities.
- Assists Chief Engineer in directing activities of engineering operations section in monitoring, reviewing and analyzing electric, water, natural gas utility, and intrastate liquid pipeline programs and operations for efficiency and sufficiency of service, including investigation of customer complaints.
- Assists Chief Engineer in directing activities of inspectors and technical staff regarding the pipeline safety inspection program; investigating natural gas incidents; reviewing inspection results; and recommending corrective action for any violations of pipeline safety or Kansas Underground Utility Damage Prevention Act regulations.
- At the direction of the Chief Engineer, represents the Commission as a liaison with outside organizations such as investor owned utilities, city governments, the media, and general inquiries from the public on matters concerning electric and natural gas utility operations, pipeline safety, emergency response, and underground utility damage prevention.
- Provides assistance and technical advice to Commissioners, other agency personnel, utility personnel, and the general public. In addition, the incumbent may be requested to provide testimony before legislative committees.
- Assists in directing the activities of the section with regard to transmission line siting applications, certificate applications, Electric Line (EL) notices, and other miscellaneous filings of electric, gas and water utilities.
- Participates, in coordination with SPP and FERC Workgroups, in transmission line and integrated market issues at the Southwest Power Pool and before the Commission.
- Reviews, in coordination with other sections, need for and reasonableness of new generation resources, environmental and other facilities, either as part of formal “predetermination” review or otherwise.
- Assists in the Coordination of the Commission’s participation in the Kansas Emergency Response Plan regarding the obligations listed in emergency support function 12.
- Assists in the administrative oversight of employees.
Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering
Professional Engineering License
Substantial experience in the engineering field. Prefer 10 plus years of experience in utility related engineering experience or a related field.
Excellent oral and written communications skills.
Application Deadline: Open until filled
How to Apply: Complete an online application at job.ks.gov Include a cover letter, resume, transcripts, and references.
Contact Information: Sandra Rak, Recruiter 785 271-3136
$ 90,000 to 99,000