Stay ahead of the curve as a political insider with deep policy analysis, daily briefings and policy-shaping tools.Request a Demo
Deputy Director of Media Relations
- Kansas Department for Children and Families
- Topeka (Full-Time, Hybrid)
Posted: Jan 29, 2024Closed
The Kansas Department for Children and Families is hiring innovators and leaders. If you believe people can progress, succeed, grow, and do well in life, you can discover your purpose here! Find more than just a job with DCF. You can be part of the growth and opportunity for our team to help serve the individuals and families in your community. Thrive With Us and find your career and purpose!
The deputy director of media relations plans, organizes and directs the agency’s external public information program and serves as the official spokesperson for the agency. Plans, organizes and directs the agency’s external information program, including proactive communications outreach to support the programs and services of the agency and creating and directing crisis communication strategy.
View the full position description: http://content.dcf.ks.gov/hr/careers/K0237239.pdf
An undergraduate degree in strategic communications, public relations, journalism or related field is required, or six years of relevant experience is required.
The position requires considerable skills in written and verbal communication. Public speaking is important since this is often required. Ability to use Word, Excel, Power Point, InDesign, Photoshop, multimedia platforms, social media platforms, and other software.
Previous experience in public affairs is preferred. Working knowledge of child welfare and social services is preferred.
Post-Offer, Pre-employment Requirements:
- Security Clearance: A background check (KBI – criminal background, welfare fraud, driver’s license and Child/Adult Abuse and Neglect Central Registry) is required for all positions with the Department for Children and Families (DCF) as a condition of employment, which may include fingerprinting and FBI check. Security clearance must be obtained prior to employment with DCF. Must maintain security clearance throughout employment.
- Tax Clearance: If offered a position of employment, a valid/current Kansas Tax Clearance Certificate must be submitted. Visit the KDOR Tax Clearance Request Information page for more information.
Job Application Process:
- First Sign in or register as a New User.
- Complete or update your contact information on the Careers> My Contact Information page. *This information is included on all your job applications.
- Upload required documents listed below for the Careers> My Job Applications page. *This information is included on all your job applications.
- Start your draft job application, upload other required documents, and Submit when it is complete.
- Manage your draft and submitted applications on the Careers> My Job Applications page.
- Check your email and My Job Notifications for written communications from the Recruiter.
- Email – sent to the Preferred email on the My Contact Information page
- Notifications – view the Careers> My Job Notifications page
Helpful Resources at jobs.ks.gov: “How to Apply for a Job – Instructions” and “How to Search for a Job – Instructions”
Required Documents* for this Application to be Complete
Upload these on the Careers – My Job Applications page
- State of Kansas online application
- Cover letter
- Transcripts** (if educational requirements are listed for this position)
- **If degree is a requirement listed, transcript must show proof of
- graduation or degree obtained.
- DD214 (if you are claiming Veteran’s Preference)
*Required documents must be uploaded by close date. Incomplete applications may not be considered.