Stay ahead of the curve as a political insider with deep policy analysis, daily briefings and policy-shaping tools.Request a Demo
- Kansas Department of Health and Environment
- Topeka (Full-Time)
Posted: Sep 22, 2023Closed
The Kansas Department of Health and Environment is recruiting Registered Dietitians for two state-level nutritionist positions for the Kansas WIC Program.
Position K0237521 serves as the Breastfeeding Coordinator for the Kansas WIC Program. This person provides leadership and direction to WIC’s breastfeeding initiatives. Related responsibilities include: Develops goals, tracks progress and uses data to report on accomplishments as well as develops training materials for local WIC agency personnel including orientation and continuing education. Other tasks include program planning, evaluation, policy development, and collaboration with state and local programs, particularly related to breastfeeding promotion and support.
Position K0234473 serves as the training coordinator for the Kansas WIC Program. This person develops and/or coordinates the statewide training plan for the WIC program appropriate to local agency staff. Responsibilities include: Lead responsibility for planning the WIC Statewide Conference, New Employee Training and other training such as webinars and conferences. Uses professional expertise to ensure all training materials reflect current research and provide adequate training appropriate to the duties of the local agency staff. In addition to training, this person has responsibilities related to nutrition assessment policies and procedures.
- Registered or eligible for registration as a Dietitian by the Commission on Dietetic Registration of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics at the time of hire.
The minimum level of education and experience required to perform the job.
- Bachelor’s degree in Dietetics, foods/nutrition, or public health nutrition
Licensing & Certification:
- Valid Driver’s License – Incumbent is required to have and maintain a valid driver’s license when operating a state vehicle, a private vehicle, or a rental vehicle for the benefit of the State.
- Dietetic License with the appropriate State of Kansas agency within six weeks of job acceptance.
Any additional skills, experiences, or qualifications that would be beneficial, but aren’t strictly necessary.
- Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access
- Proofreading, editing, attention to detail
- Knowledge of maternal, child and clinical nutrition
- Ability to use critical thinking and make judgments based on both facts and situational information.
- Ability to remember facts, numerical data, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Ability to read and understand documents written at the university level.
- Knowledge of the WIC Program
- Ability to take professional initiative to achieve set goals and objectives.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with coworkers, other agencies, and the public
- Public speaking and training
- Experience with the WIC Program.
- Three years of experience as a dietitian including experience working with breastfeeding dyads from a variety of cultures, working in a public health or community setting.
- Graduate School coursework may substitute for some experience. Experience communicating with various audiences, both verbally and in writing.
- Experience in compiling data and composing presentations.
- Experience interpreting and presenting health topics related to nutrition and lactation.
- Some type of credential related to breastfeeding education and support.
About the Position:
- Who can apply: Anyone (External)
- Classified/Unclassified Service: Unclassified
- Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time
- Regular/Temporary: Regular
- Work Schedule: Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm (Flexible schedules available) This position could work between 32-40 hrs per week and be fully remote
- Eligible to Receive Benefits: Yes
- Veterans’ Preference Eligible: Yes
- Comprehensive medical, mental, dental, vision, and additional coverage
- Sick & Vacation leave
- Work-Life Balance programs: parental leave, military leave, jury leave, funeral leave
- Paid State Holidays (designated by the Governor annually)
- Fitness Centers in select locations
- Employee discounts with the STAR Program
- Retirement and deferred compensation programs
- Positions are in the State WIC office in Topeka but able to work Remote.
How to Apply:
Specific instructions for applying, which might include submitting a resume, cover letter, list of references, or completing an online application.
- Please include the Job ID number (207747) when emailing.
Job Application Process: Only applications submitted within our State of Kansas Careers Portal will be considered.
- First Sign in or register as a New User at https://admin.ks.gov/offices/personnel-services/jobs
- Complete or update your contact information on the State of Kansas Careers Portal > My Contact Information page. *This information is included on all your job applications.
- Upload required documents listed for each specific job posting.
- Start your draft job application, upload other required documents, and Submit when it is complete.
- Manage your draft and submitted applications on the Careers> My Job Applications page.
- Check your email and My Job Notifications for written communications from the Recruiter.
- Email – sent to the Preferred email on the My Contact Information page
- Notifications – view the Careers> My Job Notifications page
$ $21.13 to $28.31