Stay ahead of the curve as a political insider with deep policy analysis, daily briefings and policy-shaping tools.Request a Demo
Director of Labor Relations
- State of Kansas, Dept. of Administration
- Topeka (Full-Time)
Posted: Aug 25, 2023Closed
The incumbent in this position shares the responsibility for managing and coordinating multiple aspects of the State’s employee and labor relations program in order to ensure a timely and comprehensive response in the formulation and application of statewide policies and practices. Additionally, the incumbent will serve as the chief liaison between the State and organized labor groups representing state employees, fostering positive working relationships to ensure state employees, through their representative organizations, are actively engaged with State policy making. This position will facilitate open dialogue and positive working relationships between the groups.
- Provides guidance and assistance to State agency management and HR staff with employee and labor relation matters. Meets frequently with State agency leadership to discuss key issues and maintain a consistent approach to addressing and resolving labor relation issues. Analyzes legislative and administration decisions, laws, and regulations to determine their impact on employer-employee relations. Advises state agency leadership on grievance procedures and responses and attends agency Labor Relations Meetings as needed.
- Develops and maintains positive relations with representatives of employee organizations. Meets frequently with employee organizations to discuss key issues and attempt to resolve potential issues before they become the subject of a formal complaint or grievance.
- Serves on agency meet and confer (MAC) and contract negotiation teams and/or provides consultation to agency management and MAC and contract negotiation team members. Coordinates with staff from the Department of Administration (D of A) Office of Chief Counsel (OCC) and Office of Personnel Services (OPS) to provide policy guidance and advise on strategy and preferred outcomes of the process. Represents D of A as the Secretary’s designee at meetings, hearings, unit elections and other proceedings as needed.
- (The above three tasks are anticipated to involve working up to two days per week outside of the office, regularly including some overnight travel.)
- Maintains current knowledge of HR and labor relations issues and trends relating to issues that could be the subject of the meet and confer process, including familiarity with recent PERB and court rulings. Develops and presents training on labor relations issues and memorandum of agreement to State agency management and HR staff. Tracks and analyzes trends associated with grievance procedure.
- Prepares reports, correspondence and other documents in order to provide information for requests relating to labor relations made under the Kansas Open Records Act (KORA) or in response to inquiries from the legislature or Governor’s office. Maintains official records of state labor agreements and contracts.
- Coordinates with policy and technical-level D of A and State agency staff in order to coordinate or implement policy decisions relating to labor relations.
- The successful candidate will be an exceptional communicator who must be experienced and adept at facilitating difficult discussions, fostering change, establishing and strengthening partnerships, and working with a wide range of stakeholders. Must have a minimum of five years of relevant labor relations experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Legal and/or HR experience and familiarity with laws, regulations and guidelines related to all aspects of labor relations is preferred.
How to Apply:
To apply, please submit the State of Kansas application through the Careers portal.
Kim Warren, [email protected]
$ $80,000 to $95,000