Stay ahead of the curve as a political insider with deep policy analysis, daily briefings and policy-shaping tools.Request a Demo
Eligibility Trainee Professional (209638)
- Kansas Department of Health and Environment
- Topeka (Full-Time)
Posted: Aug 02, 2023Closed
The Kansas Department of Health and Environment has an Eligibility Trainee/Professional opening in Topeka. This position completes the eligibility determination for KanCare (Medicaid and CHIP) and other family medical programs in a timely, accurate and customer responsive manner. This determination is a situation utilizing screening information compiled by the KanCare Eligibility contractor. Investigation of the customer’s circumstances through the use of available computer information systems, researching records provided by the customer and direct customer contact provide the information upon which the eligibility determination is based. Operation of a computer is essential to document eligibility decisions.
Job Responsibilities may include but are not limited to the following:
Develop a positive working relationship with KanCare Eligibility contract staff in order to assist customers in accessing appropriate services. Represents the agency to the contractor and uses a non-judgmental attitude, communication skills and a working understanding of human behavior to establish an atmosphere in which mutual goals are achieved and positive working relationships are maintained. Act as a resource to the KanCare Eligibility contractor. This may include one-on-one assistance with the screening of medical applications and reviews in addition to medical eligibility determinations.
Analyzes the implications of policy and procedural decisions and provides input regarding the impact on customers, staff, and the operation of medical programs. Uses knowledge of state eligibility processes and policies and procedures governing managed care enrollment to coordinate and advise on work processes, interpret guidelines or instructions, elicit opinions, resolve conflicts, or give guidance to agency and contract staff.
- Eligibility Trainee: High school diploma or equivalent, six months experience determining Long-Term Care, Elderly and Disabled, or Family Medical eligibility. Education may be substituted for experience as determined relevant by the agency.
- Eligibility Professional: Two years of experience interacting with clients, customers, or the public in a social service, customer service, or problem resolution setting. Education in Business Administration, Public Administration, Sociology, Psychology, Social Work, or a related field may be substituted for the required experience.
The minimum level of education and experience required to perform the job.
- High School, GED
Licensing & Certification:
- Valid Driver’s License – Incumbent is required to have and maintain a valid driver’s license when operating a state vehicle, a private vehicle, or a rental vehicle for the benefit of the State.
Any additional skills, experiences, or qualifications that would be beneficial, but aren’t strictly necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Some post-secondary education
- Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access
- Proofreading, editing, attention to detail
- Independent judgment and initiative
- Effective communication both verbal and written
- Experience working in a paperless system or using imaging
- Experience providing excellent customer service
- Experience interviewing, investigating, compiling information, and documenting decisions
- Experience making eligibility determinations using regulations, policies, and procedures
- Demonstrated analytical skills
- Knowledge of Medicaid programs
- Ability to manage competing priorities
- Experience utilizing computer, imaging & eligibility determination system
About the Position:
- Who can apply: Anyone (External)
- Classified/Unclassified Service: Unclassified
- Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time
- Regular/Temporary: Regular
- Work Schedule: Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm (Flexible schedules available)
- Eligible to Receive Benefits: Yes
- Veterans’ Preference Eligible: Yes
- Comprehensive medical, mental, dental, vision, and additional coverage
- Sick & Vacation leave
- Work-Life Balance programs: parental leave, military leave, jury leave, funeral leave
- Paid State Holidays (designated by the Governor annually)
- Fitness Centers in select locations
- Employee discounts with the STAR Program
- Retirement and deferred compensation programs
How to Apply:
Specific instructions for applying, which might include submitting a resume, cover letter, list of references, or completing an online application.
- Please include the Job ID number (K0230615) when emailing.
Job Application Process: Only applications submitted within our State of Kansas Careers Portal will be considered.
- First Sign in or register as a New User at https://admin.ks.gov/offices/personnel-services/jobs
- Complete or update your contact information on the State of Kansas Careers Portal > My Contact Information page. *This information is included on all your job applications.
- Upload required documents listed for each specific job posting.
- Start your draft job application, upload other required documents, and Submit when it is complete.
- Manage your draft and submitted applications on the Careers> My Job Applications page.
- Check your email and My Job Notifications for written communications from the Recruiter.
- Email – sent to the Preferred email on the My Contact Information page
- Notifications – view the Careers> My Job Notifications page
$ 16.94 to 18.20