Stay ahead of the curve as a political insider with deep policy analysis, daily briefings and policy-shaping tools.Request a Demo
Environmental Associate (206504)
- Kansas Department of Health and Environment
- Topeka (Full-Time)
Posted: Jul 26, 2023Closed
Our agency is led by Secretary Janet Stanek, who was appointed by Gov. Kelly in Dec 2021. KDHE is comprised of three divisions: Public Health, Environment, and Health Care Finance (which includes the State’s Medicaid program, KanCare). We are the only agency in the nation to have these three entities under one roof which allows us to take a holistic approach to improving and protecting the health and well-being Exof all Kansans.
The Kansas Department of Health and Environment – Storage Tank Section – Preventative Unit is seeking an Environmental Associate (K0234510) to oversee Underground Storage Tank (UST) Contractor Licensing and Facility Operator Certification programs. The position will perform storage tank inspections and determine compliance with state regulations. The position also prepares reports, reviews testing information for UST systems, conducts data analysis utilizing information recorded in the database, and employs scientific and technical recommended practices utilized by the regulated community. The position requires good technical understanding. This position is located in the Topeka office. Multiple training opportunities are available to fortify the applicant’s technical abilities.
Job Responsibilities may include but are not limited to the following:
This position is the main administrator for the UST Licensed Contractor Testing program. The person in this position will conduct initial testing for individual(s) requesting to become a licensed contractor in Kansas for installation, testing, and/or removals of UST systems. Administer, evaluate, and grade written test(s) submitted by contractor(s) for their license renewal(s) or new license requirements. Reviews testing material for periodic updates according to federal and state regulation along with recommended practices from industry standards. Incorporate updates into new testing material along with preparing any new test for new requirements mandated by changes in state statues or regulations.
Performs special and routine storage tank inspections (in office and in the field) to evaluate, follow-up, and verify compliance with state and federal requirements. Performs inspections of licensed UST contractors and workers at UST storage tank facilities to determine compliance with K.S.A. 65-34,110 (b) (2). Confirms workers have current licenses, licensed personnel are on site at least 75% of time, UST work is performed after KDHE approval, and established installation practices are followed. Explains outcomes of inspections to facility owners and documents the findings for any required follow-up. Informs supervisor of any conditions, particularly damaged or missing equipment, at UST facilities that could put such systems out of compliance with UST regulations. Works with owners/operators of storage tank facilities to ensure compliance with the Storage Tank Program.
The minimum level of education and experience required to perform the job.
- High School, GED
Licensing & Certification:
- Valid Driver’s License – Incumbent is required to have and maintain a valid driver’s license when operating a state vehicle, a private vehicle, or a rental vehicle for the benefit of the State.
- Two years of relevant technical experience in an environmental field and/or program. Education may be substituted by the agency as necessary.
- Within the first year of employment, the incumbent must pass a physical exam that certifies the individual can work in the necessary protective gear.
Any additional skills, experiences, or qualifications that would be beneficial, but aren’t strictly necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental, agricultural, or natural sciences/resources.
- Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Lotus Notes, Oracle
- Proofreading, editing, attention to detail
- Public speaking
- Lotus notes
- Experience in working with state or federal UST regulations, along with experience with UST and AST
About the Position:
- Who can apply: Anyone (External)
- Classified/Unclassified Service: Unclassified
- Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time
- Regular/Temporary: Regular
- Work Schedule: Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm (Flexible schedules available)
- Eligible to Receive Benefits: Yes
- Veterans’ Preference Eligible: Yes
- Comprehensive medical, mental, dental, vision, and additional coverage
- Sick & Vacation leave
- Work-Life Balance programs: parental leave, military leave, jury leave, funeral leave
- Paid State Holidays (designated by the Governor annually)
- Fitness Centers in select locations
- Employee discounts with the STAR Program
- Retirement and deferred compensation programs
How to Apply:
Specific instructions for applying, which might include submitting a resume, cover letter, list of references, or completing an online application.
- Please include the Job ID number (206504) when emailing.
Job Application Process: Only applications submitted within our State of Kansas Careers Portal will be considered.
- First Sign in or register as a New User at https://admin.ks.gov/offices/personnel-services/jobs
- Complete or update your contact information on the State of Kansas Careers Portal > My Contact Information page. *This information is included on all your job applications.
- Upload required documents listed for each specific job posting.
- Start your draft job application, upload other required documents, and Submit when it is complete.
- Manage your draft and submitted applications on the Careers> My Job Applications page.
- Check your email and My Job Notifications for written communications from the Recruiter.
- Email – sent to the Preferred email on the My Contact Information page
- Notifications – view the Careers> My Job Notifications page
$ 19.63 to 21.64