Stay ahead of the curve as a political insider with deep policy analysis, daily briefings and policy-shaping tools.Request a Demo
Environmental Associate (210236)
- Kansas Department of Health and Environment
- Topeka (Full-Time)
Posted: Sep 06, 2023Closed
The Kansas Department of Health and Environment has an Environmental Associate opening in Topeka. This position will provide field support for environmental projects in the Site Assessment Program. The candidate should have strong mechanical aptitude for operation and maintenance of hydraulic equipment and an interest in protecting the resources of KS. The Environmental Associate position is responsible for operation and maintenance of Geoprobe/drill rig and equipment, collection of soil, groundwater, surface water, and air samples in accordance with Bureau SOPs, conducts field audits in accordance to Bureau SOPs, QA/QC documents, and policies, prepares purchase orders for field supplies, and maintains and schedules vehicle fleet maintenance for Bureau.
Job Responsibilities may include but are not limited to the following:
Provide technical support for field investigations including the preparation of supplies, equipment, and vehicles for mobilization; operation of vehicles and equipment; disposal of waste; and decontamination of sampling equipment. Operate or assist in operation of KDHE’s Geoprobe direct-push sampling units, and other technical sampling equipment. Collects groundwater, surface water, soil, and waste samples with proper chain-of-custody and transports samples to the laboratory as specified. Reviews, understands, and follows all site specific workplans, QAPPs, field sampling plans, and health and safety plans and adheres to the QMP, SOPs, and other bureau, section, and program guidance.
Maintain section vehicles including the interior and exterior cleaning of vehicles on a regular basis. Follows up on reports of mechanical issues, works with the supervisor and administrative staff to coordinate and schedule vehicle maintenance. Shuttles vehicles to and from the shop for repairs and maintains vehicle maintenance records.
Maintain the section areas of the Monroe Garage and section field equipment. Keep the Monroe Garage clean and safe at all times. Is thoroughly familiar with the operation and maintenance of all field equipment and trains others on the proper use and maintenance of field equipment. Ensure that all field equipment is calibrated and operating according to the manufacturer’s specifications, decontaminated, and properly stored when not in use. Tracks and inventories field equipment regularly.
- Two years of relevant technical experience in an environmental field and/or program. Education may be substituted by the agency as necessary
The minimum level of education and experience required to perform the job.
- High School, GED
Licensing & Certification:
- Valid Driver’s License – Incumbent is required to have and maintain a valid driver’s license when operating a state vehicle, a private vehicle, or a rental vehicle for the benefit of the State.
Any additional skills, experiences, or qualifications that would be beneficial, but aren’t strictly necessary.
- Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access.
- Proofreading, editing, attention to detail.
- Operation of drilling & probing equip. in addition to using field sampling and monitoring equip.
- Mechanical aptitude for operation/maintenance of hydraulic equipment (Geoprobe/drill rig).
- Knowledge of field soil/groundwater sampling.
- Ability to review and interpret technical data, and good communication skills.
- Experience compiling data into tables and figures.
Post-Offer, Pre-employment Requirements:
- Within six months of hire, incumbent must pass a physical which certifies the individual can work in the necessary protective gear.
- Must obtain 40 Hour HAZWOPER certification within three months of hire.
About the Position:
- Who can apply: Anyone (External)
- Classified/Unclassified Service: Unclassified
- Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time
- Regular/Temporary: Regular
- Work Schedule: Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm (Flexible schedules available)
- Eligible to Receive Benefits: Yes
- Veterans’ Preference Eligible: Yes
- Comprehensive medical, mental, dental, vision, and additional coverage
- Sick & Vacation leave
- Work-Life Balance programs: parental leave, military leave, jury leave, funeral leave
- Paid State Holidays (designated by the Governor annually)
- Fitness Centers in select locations
- Employee discounts with the STAR Program
- Retirement and deferred compensation programs
How to Apply:
Specific instructions for applying, which might include submitting a resume, cover letter, list of references, or completing an online application.
- Please include the Job ID number (210236) when emailing.
Job Application Process: Only applications submitted within our State of Kansas Careers Portal will be considered.
- First Sign in or register as a New User at https://admin.ks.gov/offices/personnel-services/jobs
- Complete or update your contact information on the State of Kansas Careers Portal > My Contact Information page. *This information is included on all your job applications.
- Upload required documents listed for each specific job posting.
- Start your draft job application, upload other required documents, and Submit when it is complete.
- Manage your draft and submitted applications on the Careers> My Job Applications page.
- Check your email and My Job Notifications for written communications from the Recruiter.
- Email – sent to the Preferred email on the My Contact Information page
- Notifications – view the Careers> My Job Notifications page
$ $19.63 to $21.64