Stay ahead of the curve as a political insider with deep policy analysis, daily briefings and policy-shaping tools.Request a Demo
Environmental Data Management Specialist (209561)
- Kansas Department of Health and Environment
- Topeka (Full-Time)
Posted: Jul 25, 2023Closed
Job Description and Responsibilities:
Our agency is led by Secretary Janet Stanek, who was appointed by Gov. Kelly in Dec 2021. KDHE is comprised of three divisions: Public Health, Environment, and Health Care Finance (which includes the State’s Medicaid program, KanCare). We are the only agency in the nation to have these three entities under one roof which allows us to take a holistic approach to improving and protecting the health and well-being of all Kansans.
The Kansas Department of Health and Environment has an Environmental Data Management Specialist opening in Topeka. Position duties include managing the information management system for the Storage Tank Section and facilitating between Section staff and the Bureau Data Manager. Responsibilities include managing environmental data, storage tank components and permitting information. in addition to evaluating current reporting needs and develop or modify various reports to meet State and Federal reporting requirements. The successful candidate will be highly proficient in data system functionality. The position requires contact with the system developer on a regular basis. Training opportunities exist to fortify the successful applicant’s technical abilities.
Job Responsibilities may include but are not limited to the following:
Manage complex database software (information management system) including providing input on modifying and enhancing software and database applications. Responsible for working with staff directly on ideas to improve the database and some work processes. Evaluate current reporting needs and develop or modify various reports to meet required State and Federal reporting deadlines. Is highly proficient in data system functionality and participates in on-site meetings targeting program areas. Is readily available to help solve pertinent issues. Facilitates decisions for all aspects of the program configuration and implementation. Works closely with the bureau Environmental Data Program Manager. Adheres to deadlines and ensures program regulatory requirements are met for data management systems. Directs testing and verification of system configuration and converted data. Serves as the Storage Tank Section subject matter expert to facilitate with, identify, coordinate, and oversee completion of program area configuration tasks in 1) nForm form design, 2) nSpect inspection form configuration, and 3) Document Template design and update. Serves as the point of contact within the Storage Tanks program and works with bureau staff and consultants for configuration and data conversion issues. Develop data and report extraction procedures and processes.
Coordinate ongoing complex database software training for new and existing Storage Tank program staff and external users of online permitting. Work with programs to obtain feedback on database quality and online permitting processes. Identify system enhancements or corrections that may impact usability or regulatory compliance. Assist technical staff to troubleshoot user issues and problems so the section is well poised to resolve issues expeditiously and effectively.
Facilitates the use of ArcGIS mapping to support section goals. As the back-up to the bureau GIS technical lead/coordinator, this position assists with the bureau’s GIS program to meet the mapping and end-user service objectives. Provide expertise, support, assistance, and guidance to organizational staff and external contacts. Work closely with end users to identify GIS requirements, technical issues, and training needs. Analyze current GIS system functions, procedures, and capabilities to determine if improved methods are possible; work with the bureau expert to develop and present proposals for new approaches and options to meet user needs. Analyze, troubleshoot, and resolve GIS application problems.
The minimum level of education and experience required to perform the job.
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental, agricultural, or natural sciences / resources or other related fields, and 2 years experience. Experience may be substituted for education as determined relevant by the agency.
Licensing & Certification:
- Valid Driver’s License – Incumbent is required to have and maintain a valid driver’s license when operating a state vehicle, a private vehicle, or a rental vehicle for the benefit of the State.
Any additional skills, experiences, or qualifications that would be beneficial, but aren’t strictly necessary.
- Bachelor’s degrees in Information Systems Technology
- Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access
- Proofreading, editing, attention to detail
- Experience in training and presenting
- Experience in managing projects
- Education or experience in database design
- Experience in tracking (environmental) data
About the Position:
- Who can apply: Anyone (External)
- Classified/Unclassified Service: Unclassified
- Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time
- Regular/Temporary: Regular
- Work Schedule: Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm (Flexible schedules available)
- Eligible to Receive Benefits: Yes
- Veterans’ Preference Eligible: Yes
- Comprehensive medical, mental, dental, vision, and additional coverage
- Sick & Vacation leave
- Work-Life Balance programs: parental leave, military leave, jury leave, funeral leave
- Paid State Holidays (designated by the Governor annually)
- Fitness Centers in select locations
- Employee discounts with the STAR Program
- Retirement and deferred compensation programs
How to Apply:
- First Sign in or register as a New User at: https://admin.ks.gov/offices/personnel-services/jobs
- Complete or update your contact information on the State of Kansas Careers Portal > My Contact Information page. *This information is included on all your job applications.
- Upload required documents listed for each specific job posting.
- Start your draft job application, upload other required documents, and Submit when it is complete.
- Manage your draft and submitted applications on the Careers> My Job Applications page.
- Check your email and My Job Notifications for written communications from the Recruiter.
$ 24.47 to 26.96