Stay ahead of the curve as a political insider with deep policy analysis, daily briefings and policy-shaping tools.Request a Demo
Environmental Specialist (209970)
- Kansas Department of Health and Environment
- Topeka (Full-Time)
Posted: Aug 16, 2023Closed
The Kansas Department of Health and Environment has an Environmental Specialist opening in Topeka. The Hazardous Waste Permitting Section in the Bureau of Waste Management is hiring an Environmental Specialist to serve as Project Manager for RCRA corrective actions sites. This position offers an opportunity to oversee all phases of investigation, operations, and clean-up at hazardous waste contamination sites. Duties include detailed technical review and approval of hydrogeologic investigation work plans and reports, groundwater monitoring systems, remediation systems, and legal documents to ensure compliance with state and federal environmental laws, regulations, and policies. If you like to learn while working in a setting that allows independent judgment on assigned projects combined with the support of a team environment, please consider applying.
Job Responsibilities may include but are not limited to the following:
Takes a lead role in the review and approval of groundwater monitoring and remediation systems based on knowledge of hydrogeologic conditions and contaminant properties. Reviews and approves groundwater monitoring and sampling plans, and remediation system designs. Conducts facility inspections to evaluate compliance of groundwater monitoring and sampling with approved plans. Maintains working knowledge of industry technology and applies this knowledge to the selection of monitoring and sampling plans and remedial system selection for the facility. Independently evaluates sampling data to detect and monitor contaminant plumes and compares data to risk-based standards and local land uses to identify contamination that poses a human health or environmental risk. Interprets specialized scientific data to identify and develop solutions to complex environmental problems with little supervision. Uses mapping and other software to develop maps, tables, and figures to depict contamination plumes, source areas and contaminant concentrations.
Writes permits and administrative orders for agency review and concurrence to establish enforceable corrective action requirements. Performs a detailed review of RCRA Part A and B permit applications to ensure all required elements of the application are complete. During the development of permits and orders, coordinates with KDHE legal staff and the facility owner/operator and their consultant as necessary. Ensures that requirements of final permits and orders are met and consults with management and legal staff as necessary on non-compliance issues to identify actions to establish compliance.
The minimum level of education and experience required to perform the job.
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental science with an emphasis on biology, chemistry, geology, or a related natural science.
Licensing & Certification:
- Valid Driver’s License – Incumbent is required to have and maintain a valid driver’s license when operating a state vehicle, a private vehicle, or a rental vehicle for the benefit of the State.
Any additional skills, experiences, or qualifications that would be beneficial, but aren’t strictly necessary.
- Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access.
- Proofreading, editing, attention to detail.
- Experience sampling soil and groundwater and interpreting laboratory analytical reports.
- Knowledge of environmental laws and regulations.
- Experience with site investigation, remedial system selection, groundwater monitoring.
- Experience in project management of environmental remediation sites.
- Experience writing and reviewing complex technical and policy guidance documents.
- Strong written and oral communication skills including public speaking.
- Experience using spreadsheets and databases to create tables, figures, graphs.
- One year of experience in a field of environmental/geology/natural science.
- Experience in RCRA or CERCLA, especially with hazardous waste inspections and permitting.
- Experience interpreting environmental regulations.
- Experience performing human health and environmental risk assessments.
Post-Offer, Pre-employment Requirements:
- Prior to employment, candidate must pass a comprehensive baseline physical that will demonstrate their overall health is adequate to utilize personal protective equipment. After employment, as part of a Medical Surveillance Program, the incumbent will be required to take a physical on an annual basis.
About the Position:
- Who can apply: Anyone (External)
- Classified/Unclassified Service: Unclassified
- Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time
- Regular/Temporary: Regular
- Work Schedule: Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm (Flexible schedules available)
- Eligible to Receive Benefits: Yes
- Veterans’ Preference Eligible: Yes
- Comprehensive medical, mental, dental, vision, and additional coverage
- Sick & Vacation leave
- Work-Life Balance programs: parental leave, military leave, jury leave, funeral leave
- Paid State Holidays (designated by the Governor annually)
- Fitness Centers in select locations
- Employee discounts with the STAR Program
- Retirement and deferred compensation programs
How to Apply:
Specific instructions for applying, which might include submitting a resume, cover letter, list of references, or completing an online application.
- Please include the Job ID number (209970) when emailing.
Job Application Process: Only applications submitted within our State of Kansas Careers Portal will be considered.
- First Sign in or register as a New User at https://admin.ks.gov/offices/personnel-services/jobs
- Complete or update your contact information on the State of Kansas Careers Portal > My Contact Information page. *This information is included on all your job applications.
- Upload required documents listed for each specific job posting.
- Start your draft job application, upload other required documents, and Submit when it is complete.
- Manage your draft and submitted applications on the Careers> My Job Applications page.
- Check your email and My Job Notifications for written communications from the Recruiter.
- Email – sent to the Preferred email on the My Contact Information page
- Notifications – view the Careers> My Job Notifications page
$ $25.05 to $26.31