Stay ahead of the curve as a political insider with deep policy analysis, daily briefings and policy-shaping tools.Request a Demo
Do you want to make a difference in the lives of people and their pets? What about having the opportunity to interact with others across the world, full of stimulating discussions, and making impactful contributions? If this is how you see your career, Hill’s is the place to be!
Hill’s Pet Nutrition is a multi billion dollar, global division of Colgate-Palmolive Company and the maker of Prescription Diet, Science Diet, and Healthy Advantage brand pet food. Our mission is to help enrich and lengthen the special relationships between people and their pets. Our decades of science and research guide us in creating nutrition that’s a step ahead so pets and pet parents can enjoy every day together. As the US #1 Veterinarian Recommended pet food brand, knowledge is our first ingredient with 220+ veterinarians, PhD nutritionists and food scientists working to develop breakthrough innovations in pet health.
We invite applications for the position of Government Affairs Associate Manager/Manager at our Topeka, Kansas location. This position will lead US, State, and local government affairs efforts on behalf of Hill’s Pet Nutrition in collaboration with internal cross-functional partners as well as external trade associations to represent the company’s interests. The ideal candidate will be a strong leader who can drive government affairs strategy and implementation plans at local, state, and federal levels.
What You Will Do
- Internal and External Relationship Building: Build and maintain effective working relationships with internal business partners, including: Regulatory Affairs, Public Affairs, Legal, Marketing, Science & Technology, Procurement, and others in successfully representing Hill’s interests. Develop and strengthen relationships and participation with state and federal staff and drive key initiatives in support of Hill’s. Participate in meetings and related efforts to benefit Hill’s and the pet food industry and report relevant information that may affect Hill’s products, operations or decision-making. Drive government/legislative understanding within key internal business partners such that it facilitates continuity of business.
- Government Affairs Leadership: Develop and implement government affairs strategy that aligns with the company’s goals and objectives and implement plans at local, state, and federal levels. Stay abreast of legislative issues that could impact Hill’s domestically and develop internal and external strategies to address them. Lead Hill’s government affairs efforts in trade associations, and elevate Hill’s reputation in this arena. Serve as a resource for internal colleagues. Participate in task forces, critical initiatives, stretch assignments and collaboration opportunities with other business units. Write legislative POV’s as needed and interact with leadership regarding the company’s position on key issues.
- Sustainability: Work closely with cross-functional sustainability representatives to help develop claims, identify areas of opportunity, and select preferred ingredients and technologies.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, policy, natural sciences or related field;
- Minimum of 7 years of experience in government affairs or a related field;
- At least 2+ years in pet food, animal feed, agriculture, food, OTC drugs, or pharmaceutical industry supporting government affairs;
- Effective communication with all levels both internally and externally;
- Excellent collaboration, organizational, time management, customer service and problem-solving skills and the ability to work accurately and meet timelines with frequent interruptions;
- Ability to synthesize complex policy issues while identifying their related business implications and the actions needed to advocate towards a recommended outcome;
- Ability to integrate government affairs and public policy with business strategy;
- Passion for sustainability and a dedication to motivating change.
- Master’s or other advanced degree in business, policy, animal sciences or DVM;
- Knowledge of legislative issues impacting the pet food or animal feed industries preferred.
Salary Range $112,000 – $164,850 USD
Pay is based on several non-discriminatory factors including but not limited to experience, education, skills and office location. In addition to your salary, Colgate-Palmolive/Hill’s offers a performance based bonus and competitive benefits package.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Colgate is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, marital status, veteran status (United States positions), or any other characteristic protected by law.
Are you interested in working for Hill’s Pet Nutrition? You can apply online and attach all relevant documents such as a cover letter and resume or CV. Applications received by e-mail are not considered in the selection process. Become part of our team. We look forward to your application.
Work that matters, fueled by passion for pets! At Hill’s we have a purpose. Every day around the world, we transform the lives of millions of pet families through pioneering innovation, amazing nutrition, and the best and brightest people. Founded more than 75 years ago with an unwavering commitment to pet nutrition, Hills’ mission is to help enrich and lengthen the special relationships between people and their pets.
HILL’S® Prescription Diet® therapeutic pet foods, HILL’S® Science Diet® and HILL’S® Ideal Balance™ wellness pet foods are sold worldwide. Hill’s is a division of Colgate-Palmolive, a leading global consumer products company, tightly focused on Oral Care, Personal Care, Home Care and Pet Nutrition, with sales of products in more than 200 countries. To learn more about Hill’s and Colgate, please visit http://www.hillspet.com and http://www.colgatepalmolive.com, or find us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.
Reasonable accommodation during the application process is available for persons with disabilities. Please contact [email protected] with the subject “Accommodation Request” should you require accommodation.