Stay ahead of the curve as a political insider with deep policy analysis, daily briefings and policy-shaping tools.Request a Demo
Government Affairs & Public Policy Manager
- Indianapolis (Full-Time)
Posted: Jan 18, 2024Closed
At Brightspeed, we are reimagining how people live, work, play and connect by providing fast, reliable internet connections and an awesome customer experience in twenty states throughout the Midwest and South.
Backed by funds managed by Apollo Global Management, our vision is to accelerate the upgrade of copper to fiber optic technologies, bringing faster and more reliable internet service to many rural markets traditionally underserved by broadband providers, while delivering best-in-class customer experience.
Be a part of the team that will make this vision a reality….designing and building a world class fiber network and creating a customer experience second to none.
Brightspeed is looking for an outgoing, high-energy, self-starting professional who can convey complex business strategies, information, and ideas to a wide variety of internal and external constituencies. In this role, you will be responsible for developing, building, and maintaining business relationships with key stakeholders, including state and local government officials, broadband grant offices, state public utility commissions, and other internal business teams in states within Brightspeed’s operating territory. You will be a key member of the Government Affairs and Public Policy team engaged with supporting legislative, regulatory, broadband grant, and compliance matters, and will be critical to the success of Brightspeed’s public policy initiatives.
As Government Affairs & Public Policy Manager, you will play an important role in advancing the interests of the company, its customers, and its stakeholders before state and local governmental officials. You will also support Brightspeed’s business strategy, goals, and objectives through effective internal and external communications (including social media) that positively impacts the company’s image and reputation. You will also assist with strategic planning and play a key role in developing the strategy, advocacy, and execution of the company’s broadband grant initiatives, including through county and state advocacy as well as providing strategic review and direction for broadband grant program requirements.
This position is posted for remote work, but the required location is within the state of Indiana.
As Government Affairs & Public Policy Manager, your duties will include:
- Meet regularly with mayors, city council members, county commissioners, administrators, and staff of key cities and counties to articulate the Company’s vision and plans and to obtain support for Brightspeed initiatives
- Resolve right-of-way, permitting, pole attachment/joint use and similar issues with states, counties, cities, and third parties
- Responsible for state legislative, local government, and regulatory issues affecting Brightspeed and its customers, as well as larger telecom industry issues that impact the Company
- Analyze broadband grant requirements and executing on the company’s strategic plan of maximizing the award of broadband grants from various state and federal broadband grant programs
- Establish and maintain relationships with local chambers of commerce, economic development councils, and local community groups to build and enhance the business and community reputation of Brightspeed
- Cultivate and maintain strategic relationships with key public and government officials and other industry players
- Owner of relationships with state telecom and broadband industry associations and coalitions
- Proactive evaluation of proposed legislation and regulations, while working with legislative staff to draft and ultimately incorporate proposed revisions that benefit Brightspeed and the telecom industry
- Develop and implement public policy and legislative positions and strategies, monitor legislation, and coordinate with local lobbyists, industry players, and third-party organizations
- Act as principal contact for Brightspeed’s state Network Operations team on local government issues and the resolution of constituent inquiries
- Coordinate with various departments within Brightspeed, such as Real Estate, Engineering, Regulatory Operations, and Legal on local and state government issues
- Support and advance the goals of local go-to-market programs
- Coordinate with Brightspeed Corporate Communications on proactive and reactive public messaging
WHAT IT TAKES TO CATCH OUR EYE:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field or the equivalent in relevant training or experience
- 3+ years of experience in a state/local government affairs environment
- Demonstrate a high degree of personal and professional integrity due to the nature of information involved and the public visibility of this position
- Comfortable with an ever-changing technology and industry landscape
- Enjoy working independently as well as with cross functional teams, and you exhibit energy, intelligence, and a drive for success
- Strong problem-solving, partnership, and collaboration skills
- Strong verbal and written communications skills and analytical abilities
BONUS POINTS FOR:
- Experience in the telecommunications/cable industry (e.g., wireline, wireless, broadband, cable)
- Knowledge of, and experience working on, federal, state, local, broadband, and telecommunications issues
- Extensive portfolio of relationships across state and local government
- Time spent on local community engagement, public affairs, and grants
- Public policy/compliance implementation experience
How to Apply: