Stay ahead of the curve as a political insider with deep policy analysis, daily briefings and policy-shaping tools.Request a Demo
Health Facility Surveyor (205210)
- Kansas Department of Health and Environment
- Topeka (Full-Time)
Posted: Jul 25, 2023Closed
Job Description and Responsibilities:
Our agency is led by Secretary Janet Stanek, who was appointed by Gov. Kelly in Dec 2021. KDHE is comprised of three divisions: Public Health, Environment, and Health Care Finance (which includes the State’s Medicaid program, KanCare). We are the only agency in the nation to have these three entities under one roof which allows us to take a holistic approach to improving and protecting the health and well-being of all Kansans.
Job Responsibilities may include but are not limited to the following:
We are currently looking for 7 Health Facility Surveyor across the state. Under the supervision of the Program Manager, conducts on-site surveys and associated enforcement activity and follow-up for Acute and Continuing Care facility types inclusive of hospitals, ambulatory surgical centers (ASC), end-stage renal dialysis facilities (ESRD), home health and hospice agencies, and other non-long term care facilities for relevant state licensing and federal Medicare certification compliance. Conducts investigations into complaints filed against providers. Participates in development of program policy through research of issues and providing input based on professional skills and experiences.
Examples of work include but are not limited to:
Surveys and inspects facilities and services that provide health care and treatment to collect evidence to support the determination of provider/supplier compliance with state and federal statutes, regulations, and program standards to qualify for licensure and/or certification to participate in Medicare and/or Medicaid.
Determines provider/supplier compliance with regulations and standards pertaining to administration and operation, provision of care and treatment, dietary services, activity services, the provision of medications including storage and handling, physical environment, sanitation, infection control, staffing, pharmacy services, laboratory services, medical records, and emergency preparedness.
Conducts observations of health care treatment and provider/supplier operations, interviews staff, patients/clients, family, and other individuals as determined necessary; reviews records to determine compliance with regulations and program standards; and prepares written reports to document survey or inspection findings including violations, deficiencies, and the basis for any such violations of deficiencies according to established Principals of Documentation.
Conducts complaint investigations to determine whether state licensure and/or federal certification violations or deficiencies have occurred; prepares written reports to document survey or inspection findings including violations or deficiencies and the basis for any such violations or deficiencies.
Aids in orientating and training of newly assigned health facility surveyors to perform assigned job duties and responsibilities.
Provides testimony and input for the preparation of documents and other materials needed for case hearings and related proceedings.
The minimum level of education and experience required to perform the job.
- Graduation from an accredited nursing program or other accredited health care associated program
Licensing & Certification:
- Valid Driver’s License – Incumbent is required to have and maintain a valid driver’s license when operating a state vehicle, a private vehicle, or a rental vehicle for the benefit of the State.
- License, certification or registration as an environmental health specialist, dietician, licensed practical nurse, registered nurse or bachelor’s degree in gerontology, a behavioral health field or a related health field and experience in a health care facility/service.
- Knowledge of the principals of public health and medical care administration; interviewing techniques, current methods, and practices in health care facilities; health care facility equipment, construction, and safety; federal Medicare and Medicaid requirements.
- Successful completion of the CMS Surveyor Training Course prescribed and conducted by the State Survey Agency / Health Facilities Program.
Any additional skills, experiences, or qualifications that would be beneficial, but aren’t strictly necessary.
- Experience as a Health Facility Surveyor with knowledge of State and Federal survey and certification requirements for Acute and Continuing Care and or with Long Term Care provider types.
- Ability to interact with individuals and establish a rapport, analyze, prepare, present, and interpret reports and other documents related to health care facility survey activities; interpret and apply related statues, regulations, policies and procedures for health care providers and evaluate health care facility practices in areas of care and treatment.
- Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access
- Frequent overnight and/or regular day travel is required of incumbents for this job
- May work irregular hours to accomplish surveys, inspections, and complaint investigations
About the Position:
- Who can apply: Anyone (External)
- Classified/Unclassified Service: Unclassified
- Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time
- Regular/Temporary: Regular
- Work Schedule: Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm (Flexible schedules available)
- Eligible to Receive Benefits: Yes
- Veterans’ Preference Eligible: Yes
How to Apply:
Specific instructions for applying, which might include submitting a resume, cover letter, list of references, or completing an online application.
- Please include the Job ID number (205210) when emailing.
Job Application Process: Only applications submitted within our State of Kansas Careers Portal will be considered.
- First Sign in or register as a New User at https://admin.ks.gov/offices/personnel-services/jobs
- Complete or update your contact information on the State of Kansas Careers Portal > My Contact Information page. *This information is included on all your job applications.
- Upload required documents listed for each specific job posting.
- Start your draft job application, upload other required documents, and Submit when it is complete.
- Manage your draft and submitted applications on the Careers> My Job Applications page.
- Check your email and My Job Notifications for written communications from the Recruiter.
- Email – sent to the Preferred email on the My Contact Information page
- Notifications – view the Careers> My Job Notifications page
$ 30.00 to 32.00