Stay ahead of the curve as a political insider with deep policy analysis, daily briefings and policy-shaping tools.Request a Demo
- Kansas Department of Commerce
- Topeka (Full-Time)
Posted: Jul 27, 2023Open
In response to Kansas’ statewide shortage of affordable, quality housing, the Department of Commerce has established the position of Housing Specialist to ensure coordination between the public and private sector on new and rehab housing development in the state. This position is charged with driving the development of new housing units in Kansas communities with a focus on tangible, material results and works under the direction of the Secretary. This work will be done through identifying development partners; marshaling state and local government resources; proposing policies and legislation that will support additional housing development; and the identification and marketing of new construction and renovation opportunities throughout the state.
- Develop private and public partnerships that result in new and renovated housing units in Kansas communities.
- Foster relationships with developers to increase upper story housing developments in Kansas communities.
- Communicate Kansas housing resources and programs to developers and communities
- Promote and assist in the implementation of Rural Housing Incentive District projects across Kansas; and in the planning of Community Development Block Grant Housing Rehabilitation projects.
- Work in coordination with public sector and nonprofit partners including the Kansas Housing Resource Corporation, Regional Planning Commissions, local community development professionals, foundations, Commerce’s Community Development Division program directors and staff, and Commerce’s In-State Business Development team, as needed.
- Review and propose policies that will result in the development of additional housing units in Kansas communities.
- Serve as an active, solutions-oriented resource on the Kansas Housing Interagency Committee (HIAC).
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Policy, Government, Planning, or related discipline
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in housing development, real estate, local economic development, finance, banking, or lending
- Possess and maintain a valid Kansas Driver’s License
- Able to travel from assigned workstation
- Able to work both independently and collaboratively
- Provide a current Certificate of Tax Clearance
How to Apply:
To apply, please submit the State of Kansas application through the Careers portal.
Angie Krahe, HR Recruiter: 785-291-3568
$ 50,000 to 60,000