Stay ahead of the curve as a political insider with deep policy analysis, daily briefings and policy-shaping tools.Request a Demo
IT Project Manager, OTIS
- Kansas Office of IT Services
- Shawnee County (Full-time)
Posted: Jun 30, 2023Closed
Office of Information Technology Services:
The Office of Information Technology Services, also known as OITS, is responsible for providing efficient and effective electronic information processing and technical management services to all state agencies in a uniform and cost-effective manner.
About the Position:
- Who can apply: Anyone (External)
- Classified/Unclassified Service: Unclassified
- Full/Part-time: Full-Time
- Regular/Temporary: Regular
- Eligible to Receive Benefits: Yes
- Veterans’ Preference Eligible: Yes
- Comprehensive medical, mental, dental, vision, and additional coverage
- Sick & Vacation leave
- Work-Life Balance programs: parental leave, military leave, jury leave, funeral leave
- Paid State Holidays
- Fitness Centers in select locations
- Employee discounts with the STAR Program
- Retirement and deferred compensation programs
- Infant at work program
Position Summary & Responsibilities:
This position will exist in the Office of Information Technology Services (OITS) and report directly to the Operations Support Director while providing services and solutions to the Executive Branch and non-cabinet agencies.
The IT Project Manager is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, implementation, execution, control, and completion of IT projects ensuring consistency with agency strategies, commitments, and goals. Responsible for coordinating complex assignments requiring the collaboration of multiple individuals and / or cross-functional groups utilizing project management tools and techniques to ensure that departmental policies, procedures, guidelines, industry standards, and best practices are implemented.
Duties include but are not limited to: creating project documentation (project charter, project management plan, project schedule, weekly project updates, change request, meeting agendas, meeting minutes, action item list, risk/issue registry, project closeout, as-is and to-be diagrams, gap analysis, etc.) attending project meetings, maintaining documents in the appropriate project storage locations, following up and documenting updates to action items, communicating to team members, escalating items to management, and facilitating meetings.
Additional duties include but not limited to: performing business analysis, strategic planning, and building and maintaining effective working relationships.
For questions or additional information please contact the recruiter listed below.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in computer science, information technology, project management, business administration, or equivalent work experience.
- Project Management Professional (PMP)® certification issued by the Project Management Institute
- Three or more years of IT experience, with sensitivity and commitment to business problem solving.
- Two or more years of demonstrated competency in a project management role involving the execution of multiple projects or a large project.
- Two or more years of experience utilizing project management methodologies, tools, and techniques.
- Two or more years of experience gathering and documenting business requirements, analyzing and mapping business processes, coordinating assignments as a project manager requiring the collaboration of multiple individuals and/or cross-functional groups, while establishing and maintaining a high level of customer trust and confidence.
- Experience in and knowledge of current and emerging technologies, and of how other enterprises are using them to drive digital business.
- Experience working in sensitive political environments and interactive with senior leadership.
- Experience working in State Entities.
- Experience in leading a team.
- Familiarity with project management methodologies such as Agile and Scrum.
- A combination of education, training, and experience may be substituted when competency in the role is demonstrated.
Special knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Applies professional principles, practices, and techniques to lead project teams.
- Maintains effective communication and working relationships with customers and project team members.
- Conveys easily and quickly any message; speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens attentively and seeks clarification; responds well to questions; maintains professional nonverbal communication analogous to situation.
- Writes clearly and informatively with a high level of sophistication.
- Varies writing style to meet needs.
- Presents numerical data effectively.
- Able to read and interpret complex written information.
- Presents clearly and informatively, easily maintaining audience attention and responding to audience needs.
- Able to facilitate discussion, progress effectively and manage audience as needed.
- Progressive project management experience
- Working in and/or managing Governance processes.
- Strong Business Acumen across multiple practices including, end-user technical support, enterprise web services, technological infrastructure, and contract management.
Necessary Special Requirements: Ability to obtain and retain an OITS Security and KCJIS clearances are requirement of employment and continued employment.
Disclaimer: Due to security requirements related to system access, the following will result in disqualification for this position: Felony Convictions, Felony Deferred Adjudication, Class A Misdemeanor Deferred Adjudication, Class B Misdemeanor Convictions less than 10 years, an Open Arrest for Any Criminal Offense (Felony or Misdemeanor).
Recruiter Contact Information:
- Name: Dy Gadberry
- Email: [email protected]
- Phone: 785-296-5501
- Mailing Address: 2800 SW Topeka Blvd Building 100 Topeka, Ks 66611
Required documents for this application to be complete:
- On the My Job Applications page, verify these documents are present and valid. Upload or delete and upload new if needed.
- DD214 (if you are claiming Veteran’s Preference)
- Inside your Job Application upload these documents:
- Resume (or choose existing if you have one)
- Cover Letter
Job Application Process:
- Sign into your existing account or Register for a new one to apply.
- Complete or review your contact information on the My Contact Information page.
- Upload documents listed in the Required Documents section of the job posting to the appropriate location.
- Check your email and My Job Notifications for written communications from the Recruiter.
- Email – sent to the preferred email listed on the My Contact Information page.
- Notifications – view the Careers – My Job Notifications page.
To assist in completing your application, please see helpful links below:
How to Claim Veterans Preference:
Veterans’ Preference Eligible (VPE): Former military personnel or their spouse that have been verified as a “veteran”; under K.S.A. 73-201 will receive an interview if they meet the minimum competency factors of the position. The veterans’ preference laws do not guarantee the veteran a job. Positions are filled with the best qualified candidate as determine by the hiring manager.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
The State of Kansas is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value diversity, equity, and inclusion as essential elements that create and foster a welcoming workplace. All qualified persons will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, political affiliation, disability or any other factor unrelated to the essential functions of the job.
If you wish to identify yourself as a qualified person with a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act and would like to request an accommodation, please address the request to the recruiter.
$ 65,000 to 80,000