Stay ahead of the curve as a political insider with deep policy analysis, daily briefings and policy-shaping tools.Request a Demo
Policy and Program Analyst (210338)
- State of Kansas, Department of Administration, Office of Accounts and Reports
- Topeka (Full-Time)
Posted: Sep 22, 2023Closed
The Department of Administration, Office of Accounts and Reports (OAR), provides for the central statewide financial policy, financial reporting, auditing, federal reporting, internal controls reviews, SHARP (statewide payroll) and SMART (statewide accounting) systems, debt collections, municipal services, and is comprised of three Sections and 12 Teams. Additional information about our organization may be found at: http://www.admin.ks.gov/offices/accounts-reports.
The successful candidate will have a primary responsibility for administering the Social Security Section 218 agreement for the state of Kansas and political subdivisions. Work includes reviewing and understanding federal and state laws regarding Social Security coverage for state and local government employee, identifying and resolving political subdivisions that are not properly covered, and monitoring state and federal legislation for changes that would impact public employee Social Security coverage. Additionally, this employee would communicate issues and resolutions with leadership, Social Security Administration, Internal Revenue Service, NCSSSA state partners, political subdivisions, and other external stakeholders as required.
- Review and catalogue the existing Section 218 agreements within OAR;
- Survey and identify political subdivisions that are erroneously omitting/providing Social Security coverage to employees with/without an existing modification;
- Execute modifications to authorize Social Security coverage, including conducting educational sessions and referenda, when necessary;
- Attend annual NCSSSA Conference to communicate any updates regarding Section 218 agreements to partner states and subsequently, political subdivisions;
- Monitor state and federal legislation for impacts to public employee Social Security Coverage.
- Work collaboratively with other team members to evaluate and establish policy, and review controls and compliance.
- This position requires a thorough understanding and working knowledge of financial management systems, accounting principles, theories, concepts, and practices to apply to a wide variety of difficult problems related to government financial management.
- Four years of experience in planning, organizing, and directing the work of a department, program, or agency.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, accounting, or legal studies.
- Strong analytical skills with experience in professional accounting, auditing and/or legal research.
- Strong communication skills (both written and verbal) including experience in development and execution of training presentations.
- Experience with reading, interpreting, and implementing federal, state or program guidelines.
How to Apply:
To apply, please submit the State of Kansas application through the Careers portal.
Kim Warren – [email protected] or : 785-296-4770
$ $55,000 to $65,000