Stay ahead of the curve as a political insider with deep policy analysis, daily briefings and policy-shaping tools.Request a Demo
Public Affairs Intern, Public Affairs Group
- Ice Miller Legal
- Indianapolis, Part-time, Non-Exempt (Hourly)
Posted: Jun 30, 2023Open
Ice Miller is seeking two interns for the Public Affairs Group (“PAG”) beginning late December 2023 through March 31, 2024. Successful candidates will assist the Firm’s registered lobbyists
and staff of the PAG during the 2024 “ short” session of the Indiana General Assembly.
This is an opportunity for those interested in a career in public affairs to develop an understanding of the legislative process and learn from an engaged and experienced group of seasoned lobbyists. Candidates should understand that no job is too small when it comes to the
legislative session and policy process. Successful candidates should be a team player and have a great attitude to jump right into the Indiana policy-making process.
- Conduct research as requested and summarize findings
- Research and analyze legislation and write summaries of bills
- Attend committee hearings and document pertinent information
- Attend group meetings and client meetings as necessary
- Prepare bill tracking reports
- Prepare amendments and communicate information with lobbyist and team members
- Complete special assignments and tasks given by the Public Affairs Group
- High School Diploma required; Some college or law school required
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work in a team setting, yet possess self-starting independence
- Strong desire to learn the legislative process through hands-on experience
- Ability to research and analyze various types of data
- Strong interpersonal skills to communicate with individuals at all levels within the Firm
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and sensitivity as appropriate to each situation and demonstrate a high degree of diplomacy
- Ability to organize and prioritize work and handle multiple projects
- Ability to complete essential job duties
- Proficient in Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel
This position requires extensive use of a computer and telephone. This position also requires the
use of copying, printing and faxing equipment.
Other Requirements:The requirements described here (physical, mental & work environment)
are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential
functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand;
walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands
and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision
abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral
vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
This position requires some basic mathematical aptitudes, analysis and troubleshooting
skills and strong oral and written communication skills are necessary to work courteously
and effectively with a diverse group of people, both on the phone and in person.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be exposed to weather
conditions if traveling to and from the Indianapolis office. The noise level in the work
environment is usually moderate.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed in this position. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel maybe required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Ice Miller is an Equal Opportunity Employer.