Stay ahead of the curve as a political insider with deep policy analysis, daily briefings and policy-shaping tools.Request a Demo
Public Service Administrator (210094)
- Kansas Department of Health and Environment
- Topeka (Full-Time)
Posted: Aug 24, 2023Closed
The Kansas Department of Health and Environment has a Public Service Administrator opening in Topeka. This position serves as the central point of contact for the procurement of all goods and services for assigned bureaus utilizing appropriate procurement methods within policies and guidelines established by the KDHE Director of Purchasing and the State Division of Purchases. Understands the Requisition to Payment process in the Statewide Management Accounting and Reporting Tool system (SMART) and prepares requisitions, when necessary, in accordance with the established procedures. Research established statewide and/or agency specific contracts to ensure that goods or services are purchased through the appropriate vendor. Monitors orders to ensure that all items are received, and that contract pricing is received if applicable. Date stamps upon receipt vendor invoices or other documentation received from bureau staff when the generation of a payment voucher is requested. Prepare payment to vendor for goods and/or services received only when authorization to pay has been received by the bureau. Checks encumbrance balances using system generated or Crystal reports to ensure that adequate funding exists prior to generating payment vouchers. Payments are prepared in accordance with Department of Administration and KDHE policies and procedures. All vouchers generated shall include the required information as specified by the Division of Accounts and Reports. Maintains and utilizes Business Procurement card accounts in accordance with established policies and procedures. Transaction logs for Business Procurement card purchases are completed and submitted to workflow in a timely manner to ensure that there is no delay in payment to the vendor.
Job Responsibilities may include but are not limited to the following:
Understands and is knowledgeable of Division of Purchases and KDHE policies in regard to the procurement of goods and services as well as State of Kansas and KDHE travel policies. Accountable for reviewing existing and new policies, procedures or other information that has been posted to the Division of Management and Budget Fiscal Services internal web page and communicated by the KDHE Director of Purchasing to maintain current knowledge and achieve a more thorough knowledge of any changes and all procedures. Serves as a resource and can accurately respond to purchasing, accounts payable, and travel inquiries and communicate State or agency policies, or other information to agency staff. Uses knowledge and provided resources to research all purchasing, travel or accounts payable issues or employee inquiries thoroughly to resolve the issue or respond to the inquiry prior to elevating the issue to upper-level staff. Reviews Contract/Grant Concurrence forms for completeness prior to scanning or importing documents into electronic concurrence. Contracts in which the concurrence form is incomplete or has missing information are returned to the originator for correction(s). Once scanned or imported, contract or grant document keys are entered following established protocols and in a grammatically correct format. Monitors and tracks documents through the concurrence process serving as the central point of contact for bureau inquiries. Hard copies of documents are hand-carried to the Secretary for signature immediately upon system notification that the electronic document has routed to the Secretary’s queue in workflow.
- Six months of experience in providing direction necessary to implement the objectives of an agency, program, or organizational unit. Education may be substituted for experience as determined relevant by the agency.
The minimum level of education and experience required to perform the job.
- High School, GED
Licensing & Certification:
- Valid Driver’s License – Incumbent is required to have and maintain a valid driver’s license when operating a state vehicle, a private vehicle, or a rental vehicle for the benefit of the State.
Any additional skills, experiences, or qualifications that would be beneficial, but aren’t strictly necessary.
- Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access.
- Proofreading, editing, attention to detail.
- Experience in collecting, studying, or reporting on fiscal or administrative data.
- Ability to multi-task and manage several projects at one time.
- Knowledge of Division of Accounts and Reports and Division of Purchase policies and procedures.
- Experience utilizing the Statewide Management Accounting and Reporting Tool (SMART) system.
- 2 years’ experience working with State of Kansas accounts payable and travel reimbursements.
About the Position:
- Who can apply: Anyone (External)
- Classified/Unclassified Service: Unclassified
- Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time
- Regular/Temporary: Regular
- Work Schedule: Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm (Flexible schedules available)
- Eligible to Receive Benefits: Yes
- Veterans’ Preference Eligible: Yes
- Comprehensive medical, mental, dental, vision, and additional coverage
- Sick & Vacation leave
- Work-Life Balance programs: parental leave, military leave, jury leave, funeral leave
- Paid State Holidays (designated by the Governor annually)
- Fitness Centers in select locations
- Employee discounts with the STAR Program
- Retirement and deferred compensation programs
How to Apply:
Specific instructions for applying, which might include submitting a resume, cover letter, list of references, or completing an online application.
- Please include the Job ID number (210094) when emailing.
Job Application Process: Only applications submitted within our State of Kansas Careers Portal will be considered.
- First Sign in or register as a New User at https://admin.ks.gov/offices/personnel-services/jobs
- Complete or update your contact information on the State of Kansas Careers Portal > My Contact Information page. *This information is included on all your job applications.
- Upload required documents listed for each specific job posting.
- Start your draft job application, upload other required documents, and Submit when it is complete.
- Manage your draft and submitted applications on the Careers> My Job Applications page.
- Check your email and My Job Notifications for written communications from the Recruiter.
- Email – sent to the Preferred email on the My Contact Information page
- Notifications – view the Careers> My Job Notifications page
$ $21.14 to $22.21