Stay ahead of the curve as a political insider with deep policy analysis, daily briefings and policy-shaping tools.Request a Demo
Senior Administrative Assistant (210152)
- Kansas Department of Health and Environment
- Topeka (Full-Time)
Posted: Sep 22, 2023Closed
The Kansas Department of Health and Environment has a Senior Administrative Specialist opening in Topeka. The Special Health Care Needs (SHCN) program provides specialized medical services to infants, children, and youth up to age 21 who have eligible medical condition. The program is seeking an organized and efficient professional to join our team.
Job Responsibilities may include but are not limited to the following:
Develop strong knowledge of the Welligent data system to train and support satellite office staff on its usage. Develop data system training to be used to train all staff and satellite offices. Development of Ad Hoc reports to pull critical data from the system for state and federal mandated reporting, including Federal Block Grant, State Action Plan, MCO and EDS reporting. Participates in the preparation of procedure manuals and related instructional materials. Works closely with the data vendor in the development of forms, reports and tools needed for the fidelity of the SHCN program. Knowledge of HTML will be required as the Welligent data system will be moving to that formatting in the future.
Process all bills for client services authorized by satellite office staff. Reconcile bills with corresponding authorization within the budget system for each client through their Direct Assistance program(s) and add notes to data system and client file. Enter program expenses in the main budget as requested by the program manager. Balances the main budget with monthly SMART reports.
Reviews initial and annual applications in the Topeka Office region for medical services to identify the documentary evidence needed to determine financial and medical eligibility. Obtains additional financial information by interviewing parents or guardians, or through written requests to parents, physicians, hospitals, and other sources. Access KAECES to verify SSI, Food Stamps, Child Support, etc. and MMIS to verify Medicaid coverage and KBH compliance. Compute financial information to determine client eligibility and record in client’s chart. Enter client application, financial information, and client narrative into the SHCN data system and client tracking log within 24 hours of receipt. Once eligibility is determined route to the lead care coordinator for further processing. If client is not financially eligible route to program manager for a final review and send client a denial letter. Send annual update applications to clients in the Topeka Office region identified on weekly report. Provide oversight of all applications entered by satellite offices and give final approval of financial eligibility. Verbally or in writing responds to telephone calls or correspondence from social workers, medical professionals, and applicants by answering questions related to eligibility requirements, program and procedures, and individual cases. Refers applicants to and provides information about other resources such as Medicaid or SSI which may provide benefits. Documents information received and provided (oral and written) and enters client narratives into reporting system.
Provide a variety of clerical duties including entering information into data and tracking systems, developing/modifying/ordering/maintaining all program materials, satellite office data tracking, assist program manager with data tracking, quality improvement and special projects and maintaining the SHCN website.
- Three years of experience in general office, clerical and administrative support work.
The minimum level of education and experience required to perform the job.
- High School, GED
Licensing & Certification:
- Valid Driver’s License – Incumbent is required to have and maintain a valid driver’s license when operating a state vehicle, a private vehicle, or a rental vehicle for the benefit of the State.
Any additional skills, experiences, or qualifications that would be beneficial, but aren’t strictly necessary.
- Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access.
- Proofreading, editing, attention to detail.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient computer skills and experience working with web-based reporting system.
- Understanding of financial eligibility criteria, including income guidelines and asset limits.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and handle sensitive information with professionalism and discretion.
- Excellent customer service skills.
About the Position:
- Who can apply: Anyone (External)
- Classified/Unclassified Service: Unclassified
- Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time
- Regular/Temporary: Regular
- Work Schedule: Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm (Flexible schedules available)
- Eligible to Receive Benefits: Yes
- Veterans’ Preference Eligible: Yes
- Comprehensive medical, mental, dental, vision, and additional coverage
- Sick & Vacation leave
- Work-Life Balance programs: parental leave, military leave, jury leave, funeral leave
- Paid State Holidays (designated by the Governor annually)
- Fitness Centers in select locations
- Employee discounts with the STAR Program
- Retirement and deferred compensation programs
How to Apply:
Specific instructions for applying, which might include submitting a resume, cover letter, list of references, or completing an online application.
- Please include the Job ID number (210152) when emailing.
Job Application Process: Only applications submitted within our State of Kansas Careers Portal will be considered.
- First Sign in or register as a New User at https://admin.ks.gov/offices/personnel-services/jobs
- Complete or update your contact information on the State of Kansas Careers Portal > My Contact Information page. *This information is included on all your job applications.
- Upload required documents listed for each specific job posting.
- Start your draft job application, upload other required documents, and Submit when it is complete.
- Manage your draft and submitted applications on the Careers> My Job Applications page.
- Check your email and My Job Notifications for written communications from the Recruiter.
- Email – sent to the Preferred email on the My Contact Information page
- Notifications – view the Careers> My Job Notifications page
$ $16.54 to $18.26