Stay ahead of the curve as a political insider with deep policy analysis, daily briefings and policy-shaping tools.Request a Demo
Vice President of Government Relations
- Indiana Electric Cooperatives
- Indianapolis (Full-time)
Posted: Jun 30, 2023Open
If you enjoy building relationships, leading and advocating for others, and have the ability and desire to support and directly influence the rapidly changing policy landscape, then Indiana Electric Cooperatives might be the place for you.
Indiana Electric Cooperatives (IEC) has been around since 1935, and today our member cooperatives serve more than 1.3 million Hoosiers. At IEC, we work hard for our members and the communities we serve. We support our member cooperatives with various services that include job and safety training, communication, regulatory compliance support, professional development, government relations and advocacy. We provide our members with the support they need to power their communities.
We offer an excellent benefit package that includes:
- Competitive salary
- Flexible work environment and paid time off
- Defined benefit pension plan (you read that right – we still have an incredible pension plan!)
- 401(k) plan with company match
- Health, vision, life and disability insurance
- Identity theft insurance
- Opportunities for learning and development
- Supportive culture and a work/life balance
The successful candidate will be a strong, experienced leader with public policy, government, lobbying and advocacy experience. You must be an exceptional communicator with the ability to build strong member engagement to coordinate and drive their objectives.
As the vice president of government relations, you will work with your team and the membership to direct executive-level strategy as you plan and execute the association’s state and federal governmental relations efforts. Those efforts include lobbying, political action and grassroots initiatives. You will focus on continuing IEC’s long-standing tradition of fostering relationships with legislators, policymakers, political leaders, regulatory agencies, and other opinion leaders at the state and federal levels of government. This role provides comprehensive analysis and timely communication to IEC’s membership regarding proposed legislation, policy implications, and various other political matters. You will lead an exceptional government relations team and work in tandem with all departments at IEC.
The vice president of government relations is a key member of the IEC leadership team. The leadership team collaborates with the membership to develop and execute long-term plans, goals, and policies for IEC. The team’s shared sense of accountability permeates all aspects of the association and its cohesive, member-focused outlook.
You will need:
- Bachelor’s degree in communication, public policy, political science, public relations, business, or a related field required.
- Master’s or professional degree a plus.
- Strong working knowledge of the legislative process is essential.
- Demonstrated strong sense of diplomacy and building collaborative relationships throughout career.
- Minimum of eight years of experience with government relations, lobbying, policy development, management, budgeting, internal and external communications, and complex problem solving.
- Experience managing and developing staff.
- Valid driver’s license.
If you have the experience, education and abilities required, and you are interested in learning more about this opportunity, please apply.
We look forward to reviewing your information.